Club donations surpass $8 million to North Queensland Community
In March 2018, the Cowboys Leagues Club surpassed $8 million in donations to the North Queensland community since the Club first opened its doors in 2001. Beneficiaries have included various charities, not-for-profit organisations, schools, community groups and worthy individuals across the North Queensland region, including remote areas.
Chairman of the Cowboys Leagues Club, Mr Daryl Holmes, was extremely proud of the Club’s significant contribution to the community.
“Whilst we will always be the official home of the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys, we see ourselves as so much more than just a Leagues Club. We have a firm belief in striving to support the community that supports us, in any way possible,” Mr Holmes said.
“From charities and not-for-profit organisations to suppliers, local businesses and employees, the Club has a very strong commitment to the North Queensland community and beyond, and this commitment is an integral part of the Club’s long-term future. It is best illustrated by the Club’s mission – Our People, Our Team, Our Community.”
North Queensland Cowboys player and Club Ambassador Gavin Cooper was proud to join Mr Holmes in celebrating this significant contribution to the community.
“I am extremely proud to be part of a Club that truly gives back to those who support it, and an organisation that plays such a valuable role in North Queensland,” Mr Cooper said.
Highlights of the Club’s community ventures over the years include:
- $25,000 ongoing annual commitment to the North Queensland Cowboys NRL House for disadvantaged indigenous youth
- Over $125,000 donated to the Cowboys Community Fund, giving support to disadvantaged youth in North Queensland
- Long standing community raffle program with weekly raffles designated to a different charity or not-for-profit organization each week
- Participant in the Dream, Believe, Achieve and Learn, Earn, Legend indigenous education and employment programs
- Partner of the Field of Dreams program, donating tickets to Cowboys Home Games for local charities, community groups and volunteers
- Partnering with the Cowboys Supporters Team to support junior and senior player development for Townsville Rugby League
- Supporting WNBL Team the Townsville Fire and not-for-profit organisation Cootharinga North Queensland with weekly raffles
For General Manager of the Club Clint Williams, these notable highlights illustrate a clear purpose and direction for the Club’s operation.
“Ultimately, we are a 100% community owned Club and at the end of the day, everything we do is to give back to the community that support us. I am very proud that all of our staff and management team are passionate about finding new ways to deliver positive outcomes for the North Queensland region and beyond,” Mr Williams stated.
Not only has the Leagues Club made such a significant monetary contribution to the local community, the Club has also pledged to continue reinvesting and supporting the economy and prosperity of the Townsville CBD. In June 2018, the Club will complete a substantial expansion after purchasing an adjacent property.
Chairman Mr Holmes believes that this investment is a sign of the confidence and faith the Club has in Townsville and the CBD.
“With the North Queensland Stadium looming in the near future, the acquisition of the adjoining property back in 2015 was a strategic decision made to help secure the Club’s long-term future. It will be great to see this expansion come to fruition and open to the public in June this year,” Mr Holmes said.
“We are determined to play a part in the revitalization of the Townsville CBD, and these new facilities will certainly contribute to the local economy. In turn, by adding facilities and value for our members, it will allow us to continue our support to the North Queensland Cowboys Football Club and the wider North Queensland community.”
The Club is always looking for new and innovative ways to support the community and those interested in seeking donations or sponsorship should visit the Club’s online community request portal at www.cowboysleagues.com.au for more details or to submit a request.